Friday, March 2, 2012

the new bridge!!

Up until a few months ago, crossing the river to Thailand was always done by ferry, either a car ferry or passenger ferry. But no longer!! The new bridge is up and running!! I have the tiniest bit of sadness in seeing the car ferry go, but much more sadness in saying goodbye to the passenger ferry. I always always loved jumping on the small boat w/ all the people and crossing the river. I could cross the river and be back in half a day, though I had to carry everything with me... and usually at least one of the kids too. :)

So goodbye to the passenger ferry. I will miss you.

The new bridge means a fast border crossing and now allows us to cross the river, shop for supplies, and get back all in the same day.
Standing in Laos, facing the new bridge. Bittersweet... but mostly sweet. :)

Standing in Thailand at the border, looking across to the mountains of Laos. Aren't those mountains beautiful?

1 comment:

Bruce Cheung said...

WOW that's an impressive bridge! how cool!