Thursday, September 27, 2012

hot kids & yummy muffins

My disclaimer- the kids don't usually run around w/ half their clothes on. They only do this when it's hot, which it is. In fact, it's the hottest it's been all year. It's not just the heat, it's the humidity. Their little bodies are so sticky, I struggle to get a shirt pulled over their skin without it sticking in place. And so I just can't bear to put a shirt on the boys. Zach's also dealing w/ fevers this week, so he's hotter still, thus his lack of pants. I've been quite busy doling out Tylenol, giving cool baths, and filling the kids up with rehydration drinks.

The kids are lucky though, they don't even realize it's hot, and that it's not this hot everywhere in the world. They have touched snow once, but it's a distant memory, and more like something they read about in books. For the most part, this little section of the world is all they know. On this particular day, we decided to make cupcakes for a special dessert and then load them up with sprinkles. See how happy they are? They really are. These are 3 happy kids, despite the heat, despite the humidity. Soon, they get to eat a cupcake. And then they might go outside to play with the hose. And then I'll probably give them another bath. And then another rehydration drink. And then they'll go to bed happy, and I'll go to bed happy too, because they're happy. Which means Nathan will go to bed happy too, because I'm happy. And so the whole family will be happy, and it all goes back to these happy cupcake sprinkles. Oh yes, and because we voted. We're happy because we cast our ballots for the coming November election. Hooray for absentee ballots! That is, hooray if they're counted. I'm going to assume that they get counted. We figured out the system, cast our votes, and sent them back across the world to be counted. I want to be counted, yes I do, yes I do, I want to be counted, don't you? don't you? This might be a sign that I've been reading too many Dr. Seuss books. I may also not be getting enough rehydration drinks for myself. I think I'll go get one now.

No comments: