Monday, April 8, 2013

on the weekend

This Saturday morning was a typical Saturday- I took my bike out and went to visit people in the neighborhood. Most of the time, I'll take Eva along with me on the back of the bike, but this time it was just me. I love taking the kids along, but this time alone was nice. I forget how it feels sometimes to head out on my own. It's really not much of a bike ride since I usually head somewhere close by, but I like the bike because I don't have to be out in the sun as long as I would if I walked, I can go anywhere I like, and I feel safer when barking dogs chase me. This time I went towards the mountains, and I brought my camera along.

 It's a beautiful ride by all the rice fields, though it won't be too long before they're even more beautiful because the rice gets planted turning the fields as green as can be.

Just down from us, a house is being built. There are different kinds of houses here, but this one is very common in town, built with brick and then covered with cement. Building can be a slow process sometimes as people will build as the money comes in. This house has looked the same since we moved in four months ago.

Not much farther down the road, a dirt road crosses the one I'm biking down. Since I'm wondering whether watermelons are still being sold along the main road, and I haven't gone that way for a few months, I turned left and went toward the watermelon stands.

 This tractor was the only other vehicle on the road.

 One day I want to take the kids down to this cute garden and see if we can work with everyone for a while.

Here are the watermelon stands! They're looking a little more dilapidated than they did at the beginning of the watermelon season however many months ago, but there's still people selling their melons. I usually buy a melon here and then strap it into the kids seat on the back of my bike or hand it to Eva in the bike seat to carry back for me.


Sitting here is a nice break from biking and from the sun. We talk a while, and one of the women asked if I could take a her picture while wearing my sunglasses.

After a while, a young woman walked down with a big smile and asked if I remembered her... and I didn't, which happens to me more than it should. She told me I talked with her three months ago when she was pregnant with twins, and then I remembered, though she remembered much more than I did. So now the babies are three months old, and she wondered if I would like to go see them? Haha, you don't have to twist my arm to go see two little cutie pie babies! Her watermelon stand is busy with her three month old twins plus a newborn nephew. Aren't there adorable? And so is this super sized swing.

There were a couple other kids around, this little boy busy eating his breakfast...

.. and this boy just watching what was going on.
  When I had my fill of holding cute little babies and it was time for me to get back home, I got back on my bike again and left, watermelon in tow on the back of my bike. Great Saturday morning!


No comments: