Monday, May 13, 2013

Angry Birds, Pink Princesses, or Glitter Barbies

I ran out late the other night to buy Eva a new backpack so she didn't have to head off to school with an old backpack that had been ripped halfway open. My options were the usual pink princesses or pink glitter barbies, so I was glad to see a new one this time- purple angry birds. Eva has no idea what angry birds are, but no matter, she loves the backpack. Eva's day at school had been hard- she told me a little girl began smacking her and then ripped her paper to pieces. Her backpack was ripped. Plus her leg has a pretty large scar on it from a bike accident a while back, and she was so worried about people staring at her. Plus her teachers had just laughed and hadn't tried to help when she was getting smacked. I asked Eva what she did after the girl smacked her and ripped her paper and she said, "I smiled at her."

I thought about how brave my little girl is and what she has to conquer each day she goes to school. She is the only foreigner in this school or any other schools in town for that matter, she's very shy, and she's always aware of being different. I talked to her about kids like this, "Bullies are all the same. They are not happy people. Sometimes they have a bad family. She might hit because that's all she sees and knows. You could teach her a new way." So after the kids were down for the night, I flew to the markets to hunt for a new backpack before they all closed for the night.The next morning, Eva was so happy with the backpack that she was full of smiles heading off to school.

 When I picked Eva up the second day, she said the same girl came over and shoved Eva's backpack out from under the paper where Eva was writing. Eva told me, "I smiled at her and she looked at me and gave a little smile back. And I held my backpack so she couldn't knock it again."
I am so proud. You persevere, Eva, and you will learn one of life's great lessons: "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven."

1 comment:

Bruce Cheung said...

wow, they are getting so big!!! sighhh