Thursday, March 14, 2013

WARNING for the Faint of Heart... snake pictures posted below

 Elijah found TWO snakes this morning while he was running around outside before breakfast. That kid is so hilarious- he calls Nathan to kill a snake he sees, then afterwards while walking back to the house says, "Dad, I saw another snake this morning too." Sure enough, there it was, still where Elijah saw it. Nathan threw a rock on the 2nd snake, just to pin it down so he could get all the kids around to see what a snake looks like head raised and trying to strike. (We're trying to teach Zach that snakes are dangerous).

 Today I'm thankful for Nathan, who arrives within seconds of any loud scream he hears, ready to kill a snake. Like when I spotted a snake a meter from my foot a few days ago, jumped backwards fast and far, then screamed my best snake scream which sounded something like this, "Snake! Snake! Snake! Snake! Snake!" You get the idea. Nathan was at my side within seconds, armed with whatever he grabbed on the way to whack the thing and kill it. And I'm thankful for Elijah who can spot a snake like no one can. I'm thinking about sending those two out every morning before the rest of us venture out.

I didn't get a picture while the snake was pinned under the rock... one day I might have my wits about me while the snake is still alive, but so far, I have about 0% fight and 100% flight, so going to get a camera just hasn't happened. The snake looked like this though, mouth open and trying to strike. If I were Zach, after seeing this, I think I'd get the picture that snakes are dangerous, but one never knows for sure.
(picture credit: http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-is-worlds-most-poisonous-snake.html)

Nathan took this picture in the emergency room hospital across the border. I think he was taking this shot while I was getting the gash in my hand cleaned out along with a tetanus booster. (gash from rusty fence metal, not from a snake). It's a little hard to see, but so we know what we're watching for, the seven snakes to look out for over here are the following: 
1. White-Lipped Pit Viper  2. Siamese Russell's Viper  
3. Malayan Pit Viper  4. Banded Krait  5. Malayan Krait  6. Cobra  7. King Cobra

So that's how my morning started, with a sharp spike in my heart rate. Someone please tell me what these spikes do for a person's health... I'm beginning to worry about my poor heart. Also any advice on how to conquer snake fear would be appreciated. While I'm at it, any advice on how to teach young kids about dangerous snakes? What to do when one sneaks inside your house and you're on your own? I'd also appreciate an invention that allows me to do the wash without having to put my toes next to the washing machine, as the head of a snake sticking out underneath is still clearly etched in my memory. Anyhow, on to the day. The kids are waiting. Things to do. Thank you for being my listening audience. I think I'll start out inside today and hold off on the laundry for just a bit.

No comments: